According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: Peace Brother And/Or Sister

Friday, May 11, 2012

Peace Brother And/Or Sister

Are you at peace with yourself? You know how important that is right? 

I wish I could figure out how to teach Sam a little peace. When we go somewhere in my truck and I have to leave him in there for a few minutes while I conduct business in a store or the post office or wherever, he goes berserk and barks his little head off. It’s embarrassing to come out of a store and see people looking at Sam jumping around in my truck and carrying on like the white Shih Tzu Tasmanian Devil. . I almost want to get into another vehicle and drive away. 

Sam also gets really rambunctious in the evening at home, jumping around and barking at me to play with him or give him snacks. Occasionally, he totally ticks me off and I take him outside to pee and put him to bed early. I suppose Kathleen’s right when she says, “That dog really knows how to push your buttons. I love that little Shih Tzu so darned much . . . Caesar help me! 

The real reason I bring up the subject of peace though is because I just spent a couple of hours with my good friend Paul K. from Bellingham. During the 20 years or so that I have known Paul I have thought many times how at peace with himself he is and how rare an individual that makes him. The best thing I can say about Paul is that he is just Paul. He is totally unpretentious. He believes what he believes and doesn’t put other people down for what they believe. In fact, he has encouraged so many people I often wish I could host a gala tribute to him for the way he lifts people up. He laughs easily and heartily and I’ve only ever known one person who didn’t like him right off the bat - I don’t know what her problem was. 

Anyway, I was doing some research on the word peace recently for my next novel and came across the following quote by Amelia Earhart Putnam (Putnam being her married name). 

“Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. 

The soul that knows it not, knows no release 

From little things; 

Knows not the livid loneliness of fear, 

Nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear 

The sound of wings.” 


Obviously, Amelia said that before flying off to her death. I think I got the quote out of my Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations but I’m not sure. 

Here’s another quote about peace: 

‎"Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart" - Marcel Morin 

Exactly. My nephew David shared that quote with me on Facebook. Thank you David. 

Then, of course, there’s the Bible passage about a peace that “passeth all understanding.” 

Lastly, there is that beautiful poem Desiderata, written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s. If you’ve never read it you should. 

I have to teach Sam to be at peace somehow. Maybe I should have sent him home with Paul K. after we had coffee today. Hey Sam! Two bags of poop on sometimes being a little poop. Otherwise, I love you man.

No comments:

Post a Comment