According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: Say It Again Sam, Maybe I'll Remember It This Time

Friday, April 5, 2013

Say It Again Sam, Maybe I'll Remember It This Time

Our friend Mike at Rainier Vista Park recently quoted a saying that Sam and I found to be quite thought-provoking - but darned if we can remember it.

We like it when people say something memorable. Our friend Marianne Binetti advises us in her garden column this week to beware of the variety of Japanese anemone called “Honorine Jobert,” which has pristine white blooms, because this perennial can spread rapidly in moist or rich soil. “Don’t let Honorine Jobert drink too much or she will turn into a garden tramp and hop into other beds,” Marianne says.

Thanks for the heads up Marianne. The part where you talk about the Jobert turning into a garden tramp and hopping into other beds is quite memorable; very creative language for a garden column. Sam and I are jealous and hope the language in our blog is as colorful as yours. But as you know, it’s hard to come up with the good stuff all the time.

Our friend Gareth Bolt from Face book said in his blog recently that, “Life is an adventure regardless of what you had planned.” We don’t know where he got that, but it’s pretty memorable too.

Sam and I like Deborah Grace’s poetry too. She recently posted a poem titled I Love Your Pizza Cutter. She says, “Because it is bigger and sharper than mine.” Apparently this poem is about her boyfriend. I just hope the pizza cutter line isn’t too phallic because this blog is not supposed to contain “adult content.” Deborah says she loves her boyfriend’s shop vac and t-shirt collection too. Geez! She must be head over heels.

I discovered a saying attributed to Mark Twain a while back that I’m using as a preface to my new book, tentatively titled, A Death in the Gallatin Valley. I was going to call it Death of a Ditch Rider but had to give that up because it’s been used. My book is about the murder of a guy who tends irrigation ditches in Montana and of his family - you’ll have to read it when it comes out.

Anyway, Twain reportedly said, “Whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over,” and I thought that was pretty apropos as a forward for my book.

I actually learned a couple of pretty good sayings about whiskey working around the horse tracks in California too. One was, “Don’t the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time” (sung by Mickey Gilley). The other was, “Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money” (sung by Tom T. Hall). Those were two very memorable songs.

Now I’m reminded of “It ain’t over ‘till the fat lady sings,” and “Jesus wept.” Not sure how those two sayings might juxtapose, but they are memorable.

Shootsky pootsky and a bag of poop on ya’ if you don’t have an appreciation of memorable sayings. Ciao now brown cow.




No comments:

Post a Comment