According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: Is Craziness in Your Family?

Monday, September 3, 2012

Is Craziness in Your Family?

Sam and I read with interest an article in this week’s news which said that older men can pass mental illness on to their children. That seems only fair since children of any age can drive their fathers crazy.

What the news article meant was that men who father children at an older age run the risk of passing things like autism on to their kids. So, all you old geezers who have been ogling those sweet young things keep it in your pants. The article makes sense too, because by the time you reach your 40s or 50s you supposedly have lost most of whatever makes you a real man, your bullets are rusty and your pop gun is pooped. And some guys are still fathering kids at 60 and beyond!

This leads me; somehow, to those immortal words attributed to Daffy Duck, whom I have long admired, “Obviously no one understands the level of insanity I operate at.” His father must have been too pooped to fly south for the winter when he was aged and got mixed up with some goofy female duck and voila!

Speaking of insane goofiness, Sam and I are sorry to see that Phyllis Diller passed on to the Great Comedy House in the Sky (do they have the Comedy Channel up there?). Phyllis’ father must have been a real old pip because she definitely was a zany broad. You couldn’t help admire the crazy chutzpa that gave Phyllis the courage to wear outrageous hairdos and to bray bwaw-haw-haw like a lunatic donkey with her smoky beerhouse voice. And who had more facelifts, Phyllis or Joan Rivers - Hard to say. I loved Phyllis Diller and Bob Hope together. I guess I’ll have to read Phyllis’ 2005 autobiography titled "Like a Lampshade in a Whorehouse", which, I understand pretty much says it all when recalling her misfit life and career.

Another comic genius who died this week was Erma Bombeck who, in 30-some years, wrote more than 4,000 newspaper columns chronicling the ordinary life of a Midwestern suburban housewife with broad and sometimes eloquent humor. By the 1970s, her columns were read, twice weekly, by 30 million readers of 900 newspapers in the U.S. and Canada.

Sam and I don’t know if Erma had a crazy old galoot father, but the possibility certainly exists. A couple of her quotes that I particularly like include the following:

“I haven't trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during their lunch hour. I've never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for sex.”

“A friend doesn't go on a diet because you are fat.

Well, I’m old enough to pass some insanity on to a child and maybe he or she would become famous. But I’m not going to do that. There are enough lunatics in the world. Thank God some of them, like Daffy Duck, Phyllis Diller and Erma Bombeck are funny lunatics. Three bags of poop on the rest of ‘em.

Happy Labor Day holiday, by  the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment