According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: Calendars Brighten Our Lives

Monday, October 17, 2011

Calendars Brighten Our Lives

It’s time for a new calendar. I like a new calendar. In fact, I like a new calendar so much I usually wind up with several to start each new year. And if I play my cards right, I don’t have to pay for them.

Last year I only paid for two calendars. One was a small calendar featuring pictures of Shih Tzu puppies. A couple of pictures in there reminded me of Sam when he was just a little fluff ball who weighed a whopping 3 pounds. I couldn’t resist him or the calendar.

The other calendar I bought was one with country scenes of Italy. Since my ancestry is mostly Italian, I have a soft spot for that nation (Amanda Knox notwithstanding). I bought the Shih Tzu and Italian countryside calendars at half price in February.

Oh wait, I also made a donation to the Easter Seal Society for a calendar with pretty flowers in it.

I’m trying to remember if I received the Norman Rockwell calendar I from another charity that I donated to. I can’t remember if that was last year or the year before. Another free calendar I got is one from the Catholic Church with pictures of Virgin Mary paintings (not Panting – painting!)

At one time I had a calendar in almost every room of the house. I like knowing when I’m throwing laundry into the dryer or when I’m sitting on the throne or when I’m working in the garage that I can see what day it is. It’s good to stay informed I think.

The most useful calendar I have had the past few years is the desk calendar that laid flat on my desk and had big squares for each day so I could write appointments and reminders in the squares. It was like a giant day-minder, food spill catcher and ink blotter all in one. When I sold real estate I was able to obtain those desk calendars free from title companies. Later, when I worked for government agencies, I wasn’t allowed to receive freebie stuff. Fortunately, I was able to order desk calendars as part of my office expenditures.

I just think it’s a great adventure discovering new calendars each year. I enjoy browsing the calendar kiosk in the mall and the display at Barnes and Noble. You find some awesome pictures in calendars and I’m not even talking about swimsuit calendars. “I love, I love, I love my calendar girl.” (Neil Sedaka). www.oldielyrics.com One of the coolest calendars I ever had was one Kathleen bought me with pictures of American porches. The photographs of old porches were outstanding.

Possibly the least useful calendar I’ve ever had was the little Italian language calendar I bought and sat on my desk so I could study Italian (my fault, not the calendar’s). That calendar featured a useful phrase each day and if you practiced using it you could learn Italian. But I didn’t learn Italian because I didn’t apply myself rigorously enough. Learning a new phrase every day was too much pressure! If I really wanted to know the Italian word or phrase for something, I just walked down the street from my office to Torre Café and asked the owners Pasquali and Maria what I needed to know. And it only cost me the price of a latte.

I’m going to say goodbye now in Italian. “Ciao!” Pretty good huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment