According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: How to tell if you're obnoxious

Monday, April 18, 2011

How to tell if you're obnoxious


Are you obnoxious? Do you get an ‘A’ in personality? Sam and I were just wondering because we read a Wall Street Journal article about so-called scientific attempts to identify specific aspects of our personalities.  This assumes, of course, that everyone has a personality.
Personally, I consider myself to be a Sunny Jim. There might be a whiskey by that name too, but I’m sure that’s just coincidence; I swear there’s no connection. On the other hand I’ve often wondered if the secret to living harmoniously with others might just be to keep a nice little buzz going – a semi-alcoholic haze as it were. Type-A personalities might want to take a closer look at this theory.
Uh hum, anyway, The Wall Street Journal reported that a personality test called the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is administered by some psychologists, therapists, counselors and employers, to determine a person’s fitness for a certain style of work, for marital compatibility, for successful life coaching and so on. You should know that the Myers-Briggs test ostensibly was developed in the 1940s by Isabel Briggs Myers and her mother Katherine Cook Briggs, who read a lot of the work of Carl Jung; that’s pretty solid credentialing, eh?  Sam and I recommend reading Cosmo or other women’s magazines too.
Actually, Sam and I think it might be more important to determine whether a person is obnoxious rather than what personality type he/she is. Any personality can be obnoxious, even sunny disposition types (sometimes they’re the most obnoxious). Here’s a little test Sam and I have developed to determine if you are obnoxious, assuming of course, that you give a rip. You may be obnoxious if you don’t or if:
1.       You constantly urge people to have a nice day.
2.       You speed around the person in front of you on the on-ramp to enter the freeway first
3.       Your order at a fast-food drive up  takes longer than a minute or two
4.       You don’t slide your debit card and enter your ID number at the grocery store until you’ve argued about the prices, until you’ve searched your purse for an expired coupon, until the clerk sends someone clear to the back of the store to find an item not in stock anymore.
5.       You constantly insist that you’re vegan or insist that I try sushi (I’m not a shark)
6.       You litter, throwing your danged cigarette butts on the ground or out your car window
7.       You get in my face to ask me if I’m saved (yes I am, thank you)
8.       Your dog poops on other people’s lawns or you  don’t pick up behind your dog in public places
9.       You don’t replace toilet paper when the roll is empty
10.   You need to regale me with details of your surgery
You probably can come up with a few indicators of obnoxicity (?) yourself. If you have a good one or two, please share.   Sam and I would like to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment