According to Sam and Jim Commenting on things that irk us off, make us laugh out loud or just seem too weird too believe According to Sam and Jim: A Call to Jury Duty Sucks

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Call to Jury Duty Sucks

I received a summons to jury duty in the mail today. The Thurston County Superior Court wants me to report for possible duty next month. Crap! Sam doesn't understand why I'm upset, but after being a cop for 8 years and a newspaper reporter for almost that long, I feel like I’ve done more than my fair share of time in the unhallowed halls of justice. It makes me physically ill to even think about going back into a courtroom.

There is nothing superior about a court of law. They are the lowest of low places where everybody lies, defendants, cops, so-called expert witnesses – all to win, not to serve justice. There is no such thing as serving justice in a court of American law.

Do cops lie? Oh heck yeah. Do cops manufacture evidence? Oh heck yeah. As far as I’m concerned, we have way too many cops these days and they have way too much power.

Want to talk about juris prudence? Ain’t nuthin’ prudent about a lawyer who will shred an innocent victim of rape to pieces in front of a packed courtroom (I saw that happen and it made me sick to my stomach). Ain’t nuthin’ prudent about a judge who consistently drives drunk and lets his friends off the hook for minor offenses because they’ve contributed to his re-election campaign (saw that happen too). Why the hell are judges elected anyway? That’s ridiculous.

I cannot begin to tell you in the space of this blog how little respect I have for attorneys, judges, police officers and our whole screwed-up court system. Actually, I have zero respect for most of them. And juries generally don’t know diddly-squat about convicting people based strictly on the facts; they are way too easily swayed by emotion and prejudice, and attorneys count heavily on that.

District attorneys often hide evidence that might set a defendant free. It makes the DA’s look bad to voters when they lose cases. Forget the rule of discovery. The rule DA’s play by is to keep anything out of court that might hurt their case. Attorneys consider court time a big game, a stage for them to strut their stuff, prove how smart they are, how handsome they are, how . . . GAG!

But of the whole shebang, judges are the worst. They’re supposed to be all noble and non-judgmental and render fair and impartial rulings based on the law. Hogwash! Judges are not gods. We should not have to “all rise” when they enter their courtroom. Why don’t they rise when we enter the courtroom? And this whole business of finding a person in contempt for anything he or she (the judge) deems inappropriate – humph!

I could go on and on here, but you get my drift. It is a miracle that we actually convict real bad guys – the nut jobs like Charles Manson or Jeffry Dahmer. And what the hell is Hinckley doing out of the nuthouse after trying to shoot President Reagan? The sad reality of the court system is that we too often convict the wrong people because of our over-zealous cops, devious attorneys and corrupt judges. Go ahead; tell me our system is better than other systems in the world. You’re probably right, but I still don’t like it and I don’t like being part of the farce and folly.

No comments:

Post a Comment